4.19.2015

Update on the Pentax ME Super Dilemma

Pin It Now!


If you have been reading my blog for some time now, you know that I had issues with my Pentax ME Super. I bought this camera last year from the US and my first film roll from the camera was just disheartening.

Most of my photos were underexposed. I relied on the light meter and also used Auto. I figured that the light meter was probably off so I decided to give the camera another try and use manual, instead. 

I thought the camera would never work and I just wasted my money. But, I was surprised that the camera worked pretty well on manual. Therefore, it's the light meter that's not working properly.

rose (used Kodak Pro Image 100) *

samurai (Kodak Pro Image 100)*

on top of Cebu (Kodak Pro Image Pro)*
I just use the Sunny 16 rule or just adjust my shutter speed depending on the subject and the location. So far, I haven't had any problems with this. It also takes sharp photos, which I didn't expect at all. I also used it to shoot some snippets from a fashion shoot we had at work and it was good.

I don't regret purchasing the Pentax ME Super even if it is not in a complete working order. Although the light meter is off, I'm quite comfortable shooting manual so it's not really a problem. There are times though when I get distracted by the light meter inside the viewfinder. I just have to remind myself that it's not working.

What I like about the ME Super is that it is light compared to the usual SLRs. I'm a very small girl and the average SLRs look too big on me and are also pretty heavy. The ME Super is light enough to be carried on a day-to-day shooting. Though I hated it at first, the camera grew on me and it has become my favorite. (Don't tell my other cameras!)

I shoot you (Centuria DNP 400)

sleeping right meow! (Centuria DNP 400)

Although some film photographers might not like it because it is electronic, I don't see an issue with this except that it can be fragile. My ME Super fell from a chair last month and suddenly, the shutter speed (which is electronically controlled) got messed up. It didn't work and was stuck at 1/125. I gave up. We're planning to send it to a camera repair guy soon to get it sorted out. 

Note * - The lab, unfortunately, scratched all the frames in this roll. Thus, there's a line in the middle in all of my photos. My search for a better lab is on. I'm thinking of sending my rolls to Manila. This is pricey but ensures the film negatives are all in good condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment