8.13.2014

Review: Pentax ME Super

Pin It Now!
Pentax ME Super *

I got myself a new toy last year, a Pentax ME Super. I've been looking for an SLR that's not quite pricey but would still give me quality photos. I landed on this baby when I saw it on eBay. The price was just right and it came along with a set of filters, a tele-converter, and a flash. I though it was a great deal until I got the items early this year from the US. The camera was not in great cosmetic condition. The flash works but some parts were missing. The filters and the lens cap weren't the right ones for the 50mm lens. 

LESSON LEARNED: Ask as much questions as possible before purchasing a vintage camera online.

Despite all these, I just tried to make the most out of the camera I purchased. We tried to put on some fresh (SR44) batteries for the light meter and everything seemed to work properly. However, we did find another battery compartment that we can't open and don't know the purpose. (Please do comment if you know what the battery compartment is for.)

back view of Pentax ME Super *

The Pentax ME Super is from the late 1970s to mid 1980s. It has semi-automatic operation which allows users to switch from manual to automatic shooting. However, focusing has to be done manually.

The great thing about the ME Super is that it's really light. It probably is the lightest SLR camera I've used so far. It's not bulky, which is perfect for those who don't want to lug around heavy SLRs all the time. I try to bring a film camera with me to work regularly and this baby fits the purpose.

Heritage of Cebu Monument in Parian Park **

boats in Maribago **
Because it has an automatic feature and the light meter seemed to work fine, I relied heavily on shooting auto (aperture priority). I thought this made the entire experience easier and less hassle. I found the camera's electronic shutter completely cumbersome as I had to adjust the speed with the up and down buttons rather than the usual wheel.

I was really in love with the camera, despite the little flaws. When I finished my roll, I was utterly disappointed and heartbroken to find that most, if not all, of the photos turned out underexposed. I used a 400 ISO film and used auto (AP), which probably is the reason why the camera overcompensated the shots I made. I also think that the light meter is quite off. These are just speculations, though.

a blind talent **

Marcelo B. Fernan Bridge at night **
If you have encountered the same problem with the Pentax ME Super, please do leave a comment. I would like to know how my shots ended like this. I'll definitely test out the camera with another roll soon and post the photos here. I hope it will end up better than my first.

* taken with Canon 500D
** Pentax ME Super X Kodak Ultramax 400

3 comments:

  1. The other "battery compartment" is a cover for the power winder contacts. Either the Power Winder ME (1.5fps) or the Power Winder ME II (2fps). If you are not planning on using a power winder, then I would suggest just leaving it alone. As far as the underexposure goes, I see that as a common complaint toward the ME Super. I have not done a lot of research on it as to find a fix. It may need a good CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust). Another thing. You should be using Silver Oxide batteries in the camera as Alkaline batteries do not carry a steady voltage for the meter to rely on. I am not sure if the camera has a built in compensating diode or not. A Silver Oxide battery may improve your exposure accuracy. If not, then it needs to be adjusted in some fashion, and if that's the case, it would probably be better for you to purchase something else. I hope I helped. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the in-depth comments on the Pentax ME Super! I'm already using silver oxide batteries on the camera. I think the light meter is not really accurate. I hope a little CLA will fix it. I'm bringing it to a camera repairman soon because the camera fell and the shutter speed is stuck. :(

      Delete
  2. Hi Ana, You may ask your film developer to "push" the film one stop. This will compensate for a faulty light meter if that is the problem.

    ReplyDelete