4.05.2015

Down South: Three Towns, One Day

Pin It Now!
I know. We are crazy. A few months ago, I thought of going to three towns in the south of Cebu all in one day. Of course, I had to include my boyfriend and our best friend to this scheme. It was definitely a one-of-kind but tiring experience. It was fun to jump from one bus to another and hop to another town. The commuting also made the entire experience interesting.

First Stop in Boljoon

The Ili Rock in Boljoon (which is now vanishing)

Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio de Maria Parish Church
Boljoon is probably my favorite town to pass by when going to Negros Oriental. The town is just picturesque and historic. The lush front yard of the church makes me want to jump around and have a picnic.

The Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio de Maria Parish Church is definitely a lovely sight to behold. I've always enjoyed looking at this church and it was amazing to see it up close. It's a National Historical Landmark and is made of coral stones. It still has its original terracotta roof tiles, which are reminiscent of the Filipino Baroque architecture.

El Gran Baluarte in Boljoon
The church has its own little museum where visitors can see the artifacts and the wardrobe of the former priests. You can also see some gold jewelries worn by the old Cebuanos including jars and other dishes of the time. You can get into the museum for free, but giving a donation is highly appreciated.

There are also other historical sites in Boljoon. Apparently, you can go on a little "walk" and see the different historical places. There's a map that you can follow to visit these sites. Because we didn't have enough time, we just hopped on to a bus going to Alcoy.

Quick Dip in Alcoy

boats in Alcoy

If you want to swim for free in a really good beach, then Tingko in Alcoy is the place to be. It's a public beach with no entrance fee (if you pass the right way). We only paid for a table that we used while we were taking turns in swimming. This is one of our go-to beaches in the south that's great and free. It's perfect if you just want to spend a day at the beach.

We spent an hour or two basking in the sun and just enjoying the sound of the waves. Weird thing was we drank coffee while in the beach. I know it's an odd combination, but it definitely works especially if you still have another town to go. 

Eating Fest in Argao


I don't know about you, but I think Argao has one of the best food in the south aside from Carcar. It is home to the best torta in Cebu. I love Chitang's Torta in Argao. It's my go-to place for pasalubong to the family.

Alex Kafe in Argao is also the place for home-cooked meals that comforts your soul. It has a vintage-y feel to the restaurant. I've eaten here twice and I can tell you I love their utan bisaya (Visayan vegetable soup). It definitely reminds me of my mom's cooking.



What I love about Argao, aside from the food, is the rich history and architecture. I love the church, the plaza, and their municipal hall. Everything still has that touch of Spanish influence, which is beautiful.

Our little crazy trip was definitely a fun one. I hope we'll do it again somewhere north or maybe still south, wherever the winds take us.

*all photos taken by Smena 8m with Centuria DNP 400*

No comments:

Post a Comment